Sunday 23 May 2010

Nocturnal visitor

On Friday, I introduced you to our family of foxes. I thought you may be interested to know that foxes are not the only nocturnal visitors to our garden. For the past couple of years, we have also been graced by these little guys...


Where a fox is tricky to photograph, the hedgehogs are a total nightmare. To begin with, they don't come out to sunbathe. By the time spikey appears, it really is pitch black! For second, when they are approached, they have a tendency to curl up tight, creating a photograph which looks something like this...



...lots of lovely prickles, but not a lot else!

So, when the hedgehogs are around, the pattern goes something like this:

  • Just before I go to bed, I put out a bowl of dog food for the foxes
  • The bowl is very quickly invaded by the slugs and snails
  • After a while, fighting his way through the slugs and snails (and eating a few en route), comes the hedgehog
  • Finally, fox arrives to finish off whatever is left.
I'm just waiting for the day when fox arrives before hedgehog has finished his helping!


2 comments:

  1. You sure get some neat visitors to your yard! I'd love to find hedgehogs in my garden, but they don't live around here. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing them hedgehog pictures :) LOVELY, you're so lucky to get to picture some..I don't even get a glimpse of them in London.

    ReplyDelete