Saturday 9 October 2010

"A 30-Sentence Kid In The Front Row Story, by 28 Authors." (Extra post for today)

"Tag! You're IT"

Erm...thanks. I think.

This is an extra post for today because mine is a photoblog with the personal challenge of posting a photo and comment each day for one year, and this has nothing to do with photos

I do quite like the concept of this writing meme, but I have to say that the story so far is disjointed and rather strange. It was started by Kid in the Front Row (winner of the Best Entertainment Weblog Award for 2010) and entitled "A 30-Sentence Kid In The Front Row Story, by 28 Authors." Basically, the "Kid" has already started and ended the story. The rest of us are supposed to fill in the blanks, one sentence at a time. Tracy from Eden House Updates tagged me. Her sentence is number 15 and mine is 16.

Pondside has kindly agreed to follow on with number 17.

So here it is...

1. Jane never expected to visit Belarus, but it was the only possible solution after what had happened.

2. Her lonely planet guide had advised her that it was a great place for birdwatching- so she packed her binoculars- Todd would have been proud, had he not been lying in a coma.

3. Poor Todd; Jane remembered the incident so well: he had spotted a rare long-whiskered owlet, had ran out into the street to snap a photo, and had thusly been hit by an ice cream truck.

4. Except the ice cream truck was actually a roasted salmon!

5. Upon seeing this strange occurrence, a Portuguese fisherman who happened to be standing on the other side of the street (and who was also, coincidentally, the resident expert on salmon) ran to scene and called 911, prompting Todd's speedy - albeit smelly - rescue.

6. Naturally, Jane was distraught over the entire salmon/ice-cream truck affair , moreover considering that she was the one who had wanted the photo of that owlet; they were both avid birdwatchers, but she was particularly fond of the owlet.

7. She had gone off owlets since then, and as she checked into the little hotel by the river, she wondered if she could find solace in the azure tit, a beautiful bird that, while easily spotted and hardly rare, at least had a name that sometimes made her giggle.

8. Surrounded by beautiful little azure tits as she wrote in her journal to un-bird-en herself of thoughts of fish, and fowl, and Todd (who was slowly recovering, and would join her soon); and as room service arrived with her vegetarian plate; her phone vibrated, signaling a text....

9. Alas, the careful study of azure tits would have to wait as an urgent text message from the manager of the treatment center where Todd was hospitalized informed her that something truly extraordinary was happening to him

10. Please return to hospital stat - patient awake, agitated, requesting nurse to masticate and regurgitate his dinner - wings noted sprouting from back, need your expertise in birds ASAP!

11. When I returned to the hospital and Todd's room, I was shocked to find that his nurse was a female member of The Blue Man Group.

12. He had a bowl of Froot Loops soaking in milk dyed blue and was layering them carefully on Todd's wings, feathering them smoothly while intermittently tossing handsful of the colorful orbs against the wall and screaming the lyrics to Blue Bayou and muttering "Great Blue Heron, oh, Great Blue Heron."

13. I quickly dispatched the toadying, looped-fruit-cereal-soaking sycophant of a "nurse" (and I use that term loosely) back to Vegas and took the helm; if my friend Todd was metamorphosing into a Great Blue Heron, he was gonna be MY Great Blue Heron, not some gender-bending nitwit's from the Blue Man Group.

14. Shaking in confusion and frustration, I tried to gather my thoughts into a cohesive mass, certain that this might be nearly impossible.
 
15. "Todd Todd" I tweeted in his ear " I don't know what is happening here but you have to help me"
Todd began to flutter his eyes and opened them slowly "what has happened to me?" he chirruped " I do not know but the sooner we get you out od here the better, can you move? I replied at that moment the door opened .

16. As soon as the door had opened wide enough for me to see the size of the gigantic syringe in the doctor’s hand, the blood began to drain away from my brain, the room hazed over in a fuzzy white mist and the floor rushed up to meet me with a bone-crunching thud as I, quite literally, crashed into my usual phobia-induced unconsciousness; a state only reversed by the growing awareness of ice-cold wind rushing past my face, accompanied by a vague feeling that the floor on which I was lying had become soft, feathery and alarmingly unstable!


17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30. The three of them left as quickly as they could and vowed never to return again, especially if Jane was in town.

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving watching this unfold. Great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. H that was brilliant well done thanks for taking the Baton from me

    ReplyDelete