The small area at the top of St Peter's Street is called The Spot; so named because its shape, when seen from above, used to resemble a spot. It was a small, roughly triangular island surrounded by roads. Then, in 1993, one side was pedestrianised and what had been a small blob with some glass roofed public toilets, was smartened up with a clock tower and seating area. Looking back further, between 1906 and 1928 a statue of Queen Victoria stood here, but it was then moved into the grounds of the DRI.
From The Spot, St Peter's Street runs downhill towards the Cornmarket and then back up to the Cathedral.