Sunday 27 March 2011

Black Rocks


Black Rocks is an outcrop of gritstone high above the Derbyshire village of Cromford. Easily accessible from the High Peak Trail, it is very popular with climbers, having a number of routes, many of which are in the 'E' (Extreme) grade; the most difficult category.

Between around 1615 and 1850, this site was mined for lead. Cromford Moor Mine was a large undertaking with shafts up to 128 metres deep. In the 1920s the mine was re-opened briefly as a source of white calcite. The scree slope leading up to the Rocks is a by-product of the industrial past and is an ideal place to search for rocks and minerals. It also supports a variety of lead tolerant plants.

For those of us unable to tackle an 'E' grade climb, the scree slope gives access to an easy way up from the back (but no pub up here either, sorry Alan!). From the top, the views are quite impressive.


6 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog, this is a return call. Many years ago I used to live in Lichfield, so Derbyshire was our stamping ground too. Lovely walking country - and the start of the Pennine Way which several of our friends have done. We used to walk in Dove Dale and also visit Thor's cave. Nice to meet you - do pop in again - have tried twice to put you on my blog list but not yet succeeded. Shall try again now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice weather, good colour in your photos. Hope you remembered your clocks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'll be blowed! Just been noseying around your site. I live down the road from you and my son went to Foremarke school and Repton! Eeeek what a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we went the easy way from the back! The views are stunning:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed this one, H, in all the activity that overtook my life this past weekend...but I'm here, now. I love rocks, but lack the urge your two sons have to climb them. I'm totally focussed on their form and their sculptural look. These are beautiful! And the picture of the homestead framed by the huge rocks is inspired! That camera has proven itself a great investment!

    ReplyDelete