Tuesday 15 March 2011

Not quite a lift, but a 'staircase'

The trouble with climbing up is that, at the end of the climb, you need to get back down! Of course, there's always abseiling, but then you have to leave gear at the top, because there has to be something up there to rappel from!

With many climbs, there is a way round. This is so at Stanage. A walk will bring the climber to the gradually lowering end of the cliff and a scramble down to the bottom. The trouble is, the further along the cliff the chosen route, the longer the walk back round to the base.

Sometimes, there is a shortcut. This is the Stanage Popular shortcut. It's basically an easy climb back down to the bottom; what the lads would call a 'staircase'. No rope, no gear, just climb down from ledge to ledge to ledge to ground.


To put it in context, the staircase is to the left of the buttress; where the two people are working their way down.


When Ben and I first arrived, we met Mark and Ryan (his climb partner) up at the top. This was the route we took down.  Well, I wasn't going to be the only one to walk the long way round now, was I!!!

5 comments:

  1. Nothing surprises me about you anymore, H! I can honestly imagine you coming down those 'stairs' like a little mountain goat...effortlessly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still not convinced. If you are going to come straight down again - albeit by a staircase - why go up there in the first place. Isn't there a decent pub at the top?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness. IF (and that's a very big 'if) I could get to the top I'd be praying for a helicopter to come by to pluck me off and put me gently on flat ground. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a lot braver than I!

    Word verification is hanglu - that's what I'd need if I was climbing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your successful climb. Great photos too. I think you are brave. I also think the lads are brave. I don't think I would do too well with Mum watching!
    I enjoyed the video. Too bad it is small. Can we see it big on u-tube?
    Also if you hold the camera sideways the picture will be bigger won't it?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete