Thursday 21 April 2011

Alport Heights

My personal challenge for this round of Miss Jenny Matlock's alphabe-Thursday is to post about a location within the borders of my own county of Derbyshire, UK, for each letter of the alphabet.

Each time, X will mark the spot.


Today, A is for Alport Heights.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The approach is up narrow country lanes; single track with passing places...


...but it's worth it when you get to the top.


The western slope of Alport Heights was acquired by the National Trust in 1930, one of the first properties to be bought by them in Derbyshire. The hill is the first significant high point north of Derby and is topped by a line of seven radio masts, which make it a distinctive landmark for some miles around. The slopes are mainly covered in gorse bushes, which make it particularly rewarding at this time of year. Today was hazy, but on a clear day it is possible to see as far as the Malvern Hills in Shropshire.



Once a sandstone quarry, this 6 metre pillar of gritstone was left standing proud.


Once, Mark climbed it and scared me to death. Today, I watched quite comfortably while Ben climbed it. It's amazing what a bit of experience will do.



A lovely spot to stop and soak up the warm spring sunshine.



23 comments:

  1. I'm going to enjoy these posts! I grew up around Derbyshire and had lots of family there, and as I live very close now, I'm sure I'll have visited most of the places you will post about - I look forward to seeing them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous photos! I'm glad you decide to do a series of these so well known places in the writing world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing Ben climb the rock gave me a better idea of how tall it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this is going to be fun. Like taking a vacation without leaving my home (except I do like to leave!!) what a beautiful place to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful countryside! I love it. So nice it's in national trust, and will stay untouched by "human" developers. Thanks for the view, {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! This is so picturesque.

    I think I am going to like this round of Alphabe-Thursday with you. Something to look forward to every week. Vicarious travel!!

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! those are some nice sceneries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful scenery! I didn't realize how big the rock was til you showed Ben climbing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been up there once, some years ago, but I didn't realise it was the Malverns in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just catching up with you! Derbyshire is such a beautiful county and your photos capture that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures, lovely countryside. And how perfect that there's a town named "Matlock." Guessing Jenny's ancestors may have hailed from there at some time in the past, no?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your pictures. My son lives in Milford, not too far away and I was walking in Derbyshire only last weekend with him. Love it almost as much as Wales!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore driving on country lanes, so that is not a challenge. The view, with all the yellow broom in bloom, looks lovely, even with the haze. It wold be more of a challenge for me to climb the rock like Ben... my slight vertigo would make my knees weak! And speaking of challenges, that is an interesting one you set for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful idea! I am looking forward to seeing your picturesque landscape and learning about Derbyshire...my dream is to visit England.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one fine looking, proud looking rock. I can see a face in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos, and a terrific idea for Alphabe-Thursday! Can you go all the way to "Z"???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are amazing captures, my fav is last but one.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Vrinda

    ReplyDelete
  18. you know, I always love country side... it give me some peace just to look at your pictures.

    Thanks again for stopping by and give some comments.

    Amiko

    ReplyDelete
  19. A is for AWESOME photos!
    Wonderful A post!
    Have a great ALPHABET week!
    Coralie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved driving along that lovely English country lane and felt rather sad when it came to such an abrupt end...but you're absolutely right! The views from the top were worth every penny spent on the trip over to join you! What a wonderful place and I felt so comfortable with all that lovely sunshine :)

    I, too, feel totally relaxed when Ben or Mark climb as I now know they are careful and experienced, but I did marvel at that massive slab of black granite jutting up out of seemingly nowhere! Such stunning countryside!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd love to have a go at climbing that gritstone pillar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hooray! A themed Alphabe-Thursday link. I'm attempting it this time as well.

    This place is absolutely amazing. Love the granite columns from the quarry.

    I can't wait to see where you take us next.

    A+

    ReplyDelete