Wednesday 18 May 2011

Eastern Edges

My personal challenge for this round of Miss Jenny Matlock's alphabe-Thursday is to post about a location within the borders of my own county of Derbyshire, UK, for each letter of the alphabet.


Look for the letter, to see where I am.



E is for Eastern Edges

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Towards the north east of the county, where the limestone based White Peak area of the Peak District National Park meets the gritstone based Dark Peak area, there is a series of edges.

The most northerly of these is Stanage Edge, rising up above the large village of Hathersage. At nearly four miles in length, it is the longest of the edges and rises to a highest point of 458m. It is popular with both walkers and climbers, with the latter being able to test themselves on hundreds of routes.

It is a much wilder area than the White Peak villages of previous Alphabe-Thursday posts; offering windswept moorland with grouse and heather.






A small number of climbers turn up accompanied by their dogs which scramble around the base of the rocks enjoying whatever fuss and attention they desire, and then curl up on a rucksack or fleece for a nap.


In 2005, Stanage Edge was used as a location in the blockbuster film 'Pride and Prejudice', based on the novel by Jane Austen and starring Keira Knightley and Matthew MacFadyen. It was also used for the BBC production of Jane Eyre in 2006.




At the southern end of  Stanage Edge is the Cowper Stone, a distinctive outcrop of gritstone which almost looks as though it is falling off the end!



After the Cowper Stone, stretching roughly southwards from Stanage Edge are Burbage Edge and Froggatt Edge, with the latter making way for Curber Edge above the villages of Curber and Calver.






Baslow Edge brings the line to an end.

The Edges are a bit of a drive from home, but well worth the journey!

16 comments:

  1. Oh, thanks for showing us around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos...

    I am loving this little trip you are taking us on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learn something every time I come here. I knew what your theme was going to be for this round of Alphabe-Thursday, and you are keeping it true, and sooooo interesting!!! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely countryside! I can see why film crews would search the Eastern Edges for such stories as Jame Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. This is a lot like what I pictured in my mind when I read the books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to show your photos to my youngest daughter. She is such a Pride and Prejudice fan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea there was scenery like the first few pictures in England! wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. Look forward to the journey

    ReplyDelete
  8. What scenery! These are amazing shots; hope I can see it all "live and in person" some day. Until then, thanks for the peek into your beautiful world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful landscape and such interesting place names!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I was so excited to see where you were taking us this week. The silhouetted rocks almost look 'otherworldly'. And then in the sunshine the light illuminates those glowing greens and golds and I feel the beauty wash over my soul.

    Absolutely enchanting.

    Can I live in your garage and visit all these places in person?

    Thank you for linking.

    Can't wait for "F".

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fun trip you're taking us on. I loved these photos.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I seem to remember "the frog," near Hathersage. Or was it Froggatt edge?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Peak District - used to visit it regularly when I still lived in the UK! Lovely scenery. Great 'E' post.

    Have a great weekend ahead & look forward to *seeing* you again next time,

    Lola:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! How great is it to live near so many wonderful places? I absolutely love these photos!

    ReplyDelete