Wednesday 4 May 2011

"Look what I found in my loft last week!"


My aunt lifted this down from her loft last week. I was wondering if you can identify what it is.


At first glance, it seems grey and just a tad dull, but when you look closely, aren't those shades incredible? The colours are subtle, but they cover a surprising range!


And I love the swirls and turns; overlapping and curling.



The construction was incredibly delicate and intricate, while the whole thing was as light as a feather.

The photo below gives an indication of its size.


Difficult to believe that something so beautiful could have been made by a stripy, flying insect with a vicious little sting!

5 comments:

  1. I've seen one before - incredible structures, aren't they? I wonder if they'll be back looking for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paper wasps can really build some big houses can't they.
    Good thing no one was home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a wasps nest to me. It's saliva and wood chewed up together and then spit out. You are right... the nest is very pretty. But I do not like the critters themselves, because they always divebomb my head. Which sends me running for cover. I like the little honeybees so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had absolutely no idea what I was viewing! I kept saying to myself, "Come on, then H...tell us what it is!" I'd never have guessed a wasps nest!

    ReplyDelete