At the four corners of Victoria Square lie four lions. Two guard the corners of the Shipley College building, while the other two guard the corners of Victoria Hall.
Both buildings were constructed by Sir Titus Salt as part of the model village for the workforce of his Saltaire Mill. The Victoria Hall was built in 1869 as a centre of recreation, culture and learning, while the building now occupied by Shipley College was once the school.
Carved from sandstone by Thomas Milnes of London, the lions are named Determination and Vigilance, War and Peace.