Tuesday 30 August 2011

Barton Marina


A couple of weeks ago, Dad and I visited Barton Marina in Staffordshire.


The Marina has berths for over 300 boats, mostly privately owned, but including some for hire.





The opening under the footbridge is the access to the Trent and Mersey canal.


This boat was moored alongside the walkway and offered a rather unusual activity...


Craft painting sessions - pots and T shirts.


Also along the walkway are shops and attractions including eating places, a pub, boutiques and this shop selling traditional toys - fun to look around, but a little too over-priced to tempt me to buy.

Personally, I just love looking at the boats!


11 comments:

  1. Those are awesome! Honestly, I don't remember seeing boats even remotely like that around here. They are like a bus on the water, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Barton Marina but the deli and farm shops etc do seem very expensive. When we visited a couple of years ago The Book Barge was there and the combination of boats and books was wonderful - I see from their blog that they have moved on and at present are in Bristol:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW ! what beautiful boats/barges ? oh to sit on one and motor down the river must be heaven.

    cheers, parsnp

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice place to visit and have a walk around !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that one of those boats has my name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love watching the barges travel along Regents Canal. Not sure I want to spend days in one though

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the photos of the boats too! They are definitely unique in design since most boats are fairly big and white (at least the ones I've seen at the marina in California). Makes me wonder what the insides of these boats look like :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to go there quite often in the old days - it has certainly smartened up a lot since then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each boat has its own character, no two alike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many delightfully quirky boats! I would love to see inside some of them! What a fun day you and your Dad had!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your pictures, we can thoroughly recommend a life on the water. A great way to see our beautiful country in your own home!

    ReplyDelete