A tributary of the river Rothay, Stock Ghyll rises in the fells surrounding Kirkstone Pass, above Ambleside, and drops down through the town before joining the Rothay for the final run into Windermere.
('Ghyll' is a word used in the Lake District to describe a stream or smaller river.)
At this point in its journey through Ambleside, Stock Ghyll once powered a large mill known as the bobbin mill. The weir was constructed for the mill.
There is still a water wheel belonging to the old corn mill. There was a mill on this site from 1335. The current building dates from 1680 and was constructed by the Braithwaite family. Now the premises are a tea rooms.
Now, the house belongs to the National Trust. Having served as their first ever information centre it is currently a small Trust shop.