Sunday 21 October 2012

YSP - Paolozzi



In the summer holidays, a friend and I spent a day at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. I'd been wanting to visit for a while and I wasn't disappointed.

These few posts aim to give you a flavour of just some of what was on offer.


Sir Eduado Luigi Paolozzi (1924 -2005) was a Scot, born in Edinburgh of Italian descent. His sculptures are an exploration of how we can fit into the modern world - combining the biological with the mechanistic, showing both the confusion and creativity of modern society. As well as sculpture, he experimented with printmaking and collage. His works include the mosaic design on the walls of Tottenham Court Road tube station in London.


These aluminium pieces were originally made as a children's playground; a place where they could hide and climb and imagine.

I expect that this quizzical little fellow was quite popular :)



2 comments:

  1. These are so different.

    They made me think...which is always a good thing in art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That second one looks like it'd be such fun for a kid, or someone like me, to play on and around.

    ReplyDelete