Wednesday 7 November 2012

YSP - The Basket


In the summer holidays, a friend and I spent a day at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. I'd been wanting to visit for a while and I wasn't disappointed.

These few posts aim to give you a flavour of just some of what was on offer.




Climbing up the hillside from the lake, we came to Oxleys Bank where...


sitting above the fields of wheat and poppies...


we discovered Winter and Horbelt's Basket, a two-storey street pavilion positioned to overlook the Longside Valley.


The basket is constructed from a double layer of steel mesh which seems to change shape as it is approached.

Peering through the small holes, the view from the upper storey is lovely.



5 comments:

  1. The Sculpture Park is a glorious place - I just hope that it can survive all the cuts in support for the arts which are no doubt to come. And if you get chance, return for a visit in the winter - it looks so different then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen, I just absolutely love this - and to see also those fields of ripe wheat and poppies when the weather here is so bitterly cold, was a real tonic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think the cornfields full of poppies look better than most of the art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just use comment moderation on posts older than 7 days for spam. Check it every couple of days and just delete them. They don't actually appear on the blog unless you publish them. Can't do with the WV, my eyes aren't good enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A landscape in summer time makes me nostalgic ! But honnestly this basket doesn't fit at all in this peaceful landscape ! Artwork or not !

    ReplyDelete