Sunday 4 November 2012

YSP - The Bee Library


In the summer holidays, a friend and I spent a day at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. I'd been wanting to visit for a while and I wasn't disappointed.

These few posts aim to give you a flavour of just some of what was on offer.

My favourite part was probably the Bee Library.




Dotted along the woodland path which followed the long arm of the lake, was a library of 24 solitary bee homes.


Created by Alec Finlay, each bee related book had been read and then transformed into a bee house.


Each book is marked by a yellow plaque on a post to close to where the bee house is hung and the whole project is part of a larger one to collect over 100 such bee home books spread across five locations; a global bee library.

Some were easier to spot than others, but we managed to locate all 24 homes :)






2 comments:

  1. What a great project. I love Bees.
    Every year but last year I have had a lot of bees on my property. They love all the rosemary bushes I have and I am replanting some bushes in the back to see if would help them come back. There is a bee problem/shortage in the US right now.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a weirdo who loves bees, this one really hits home. Those bee books are terrific.

    ReplyDelete